Thursday 12 April 2012

Old friend and gardens in the sky


Garden in the sky

Last night I bit the bullet and sent out my first post to friends and family, thank you all for humouring me.  My dear friend and head gardener extraordinaire, Becky Burns, reminded me that I had ventured into the realms of blogging once before in 2005.

We were working at the Roof Gardens in Kensington at the time, Becky was Head Gardener and I was her lowly assistant.  I had had my second design accepted at Hampton Court Palace Flower Show.  It was a garden inspired by the  daring history of the roof gardens early years,"Garden in the Sky".  











Becky getting to grips with the mixer

As the Roof Gardens were sponsoring me, we thought we would write a blog about the excitment and fun of building the garden.  For me the build up of the show is the best part, it's early mornings, late nights, laughs, tears and great friendships made. Watching a dream garden spring to life in an instant, it's like someone waving a magic wand, (a very heavy,sweaty,dirty magic wand). 



















Early morning cheer with a builders tea


We had great aspirations for the blog, we took album full of photos, discussed late into the night what we would write, how witty we would be, and we were very witty at 1am in the morning!




the bare bones of the garden coming to shape

sedum growing between the paving

Garden in the Sky 
I loved this garden so much I cried when we had to take it down

2000 giant marbles glistening in the water

A well earned drink and dabbling our toes in the water

by the end of the week everyone was dabbling!


By the end of show week we'd been on Gardeners World 3 times, won a silver medal and answered unending questions about the marbles in the water.  As for the Blog.........

Not one post.

I'm hoping this one lasts a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment