Saturday 19 May 2012

May the fourth be with you


It's been a busy old week with the bank holiday weekend, Lottie's first birthday and my first dressmaking class, but I have managed to do a bit of gardening.

I can't believe my little Lottie is actually one year old, it feels like only yesterday that Holly was one never mind three and a half going on fourteen.  But the day arrived and not only did she get lots of presents she kindly gave us a present, her first steps.  Yes Lottie teetered precariously across the room to the pile of wrapping paper and proceeded to gleefully tear it up, so much for the dolls buggy!

As a birthday treat and with our new country living we decided to go to a local farms lambing weekend.  Holly was transfixed with the sheep giving birth, as was I (they made it look so easy).  There were faces to be painted, orphaned lambs to feed and piglets to be stroked, Lottie thought the piglets were the funniest things she had ever seen.  I was particularly glad to see the baby chicks and tried to encourage Holly to hold the loud little chicks.  I am a devious mother in that I am trying to use my children to influence their dad to agree to me keeping chickens.  So it was a case of "isn't the chick lovely,Holly." "see how soft it is." "would you like some little chicks?" "
Holly wondering if she could take Timmy home!
no one would notice if I just popped it in my pocket

After all this rain and the little bit of sunshine we had the garden needed seeing to, as it was not only the veg and plants that are growing. The weeds are getting tall! 

Before I could plant the lettuce I had to prepare the beds.  As I've previously said the soil is very good but full of stones. As it is such a big job I'm clearing as I go.  So I cleared the area for the strawberries and now an area for the lettuce, spinach and pak choi.  Rather than sitting there hand picking them all I've invested in a garden sieve.  I was amazed how many stones you collect so quickly.  Now I'm out there looking like I'm madly prospecting for gold, though it is rather good exercise for the wobbly waistline.    Gardening it's the new gym!

Even the elephant had given up picking stones
No stones, well not the ruddy great big ones at least
okay so my straight line cutting could do with
improving

my sieve full of stones, and a glimpse of my wellies!
With enough wood pigeons to feed an army in my garden daily, I've also bought some enviro mesh in the hope that I might feed my family, not the wildlife, so I only have to contend with the slugs and caterpillars. 

I've also earthed up my potatoes almost to the top of the bags now, so I just have to have a trip to the garden centre and buy some liquid seaweed feed.


Clearing the brambles from along the fence and espaliered apples it all looks a bit bare now so I'll be planning some plants that won't compete too much with the apples, good pollinators to encourage the bees and like it about dry.

While clearing the weeds and brambles I discovered a patch of raspberry canes why they would have been planted so close to the apple tree I have no idea, though they could have self seeded.  I'm going to leave them there for this season but will move them I the autumn to a more appropriate place.

The seeds that I planted two weeks ago are now sprouting.  The spring onions,  tomatoes,carrots and runner beans are all appearing and some of Holly's teddy bear sunflowers are also peeking through.

It's also not quite so rainy as it has been so watering is becoming more of an issue especially as there is still no hosepipe usage.  It's a good job we have two full large water butts.  So when I've finally got the kids to sleep I can spend a quiet half hour in the garden, listening to the sparrows twittering watching the sun go down.
meiow

No comments:

Post a Comment