Sunday 3 June 2012


So I'm sitting here trying to stay calm, waiting for the dentist to fill my life with pain.  (2 fillings, I blame all that Ribena).  So I'm thinking of the lovely week I've just had filled with beautiful walks in stunning landscapes with friends and family. 

mown path through the orchard at The Vyne
On Friday I thought it was a out time I used that national trust membership that I got for Christmas. (thanks mum). So I packed a picnic, sun cream and picnic blanket(thanks again mum) and of we drove to The Vyne near basingstoke. Half an hour of windy roads and a dozen "are we there yet"s we arrived, bumping over the cattle grid.  I was slightly condemned that although I would love ambling through the beautiful gardens Holly might get bored.   In true jubilee/Olympic spirit they had a scarecrow trail through the garden so Holly had the time of her life searching for scarecrows and choosing her favourite. In fact she enjoyed it so much we had to take her Daddy there again in the Monday and we will be making our own scarecrow for the garden. 
Holly wasn't impressed with his cycling style

My second venture into sublime landscapes was a wonderful  surprise.  While visiting  my friend Marneta in Oxfordshire, not only did I get to while away the hours in her beautifully serene garden, but she took me to a capability brown landscaped garden just down the lane.  What a fabulous surprise that was.  
Grecian temple in the gardens


Immaculately restored with formal gardens around the house, spreading out into acres of landscaped views out into the Oxfordshire countryside. It never ceases to amaze me how Capability Brown had such vision. 

While out on our stroll with Ronnie Barker, a dog with special privileges. We came across some lemon sorrel, great in salads and other dishes too.  

Ronnie was quite taken with the Wedding Cake tree,
Cornus controversa Variegata
And so a mini wild forage began. We also collected some hedge garlic and by the time we go back we had enough for a small bowl of salad to accompany a beautifully healthy vegetarian lunch. 

my new friend
Back home in Newbury the wild foraging inspire me to get out into the garden and see what was on offer.  All my life I have. Even convinced that I don't like rhubarb, now it's in my garden I've been converted. Thanks to a simple recipe for rhubarb syrup. Holly drinks it as a cordial but we've also had it on ice cream and I'm waiting for a garden  party to try it with gin!

there may be a small child lost in there
Having spent so long in the back garden I have been ignoring the front which has turned into a bit of a wild meadow. So one evening Bjorn mowed as I edged. Though after it was finished it looked more like a moss lawn than a grass one. Ah well. Maybe that will be inspiration for my Japanese garden. 
short back and sides please


No comments:

Post a Comment